Another painful day in the bio-trading world. To hopefully ease some of the ache I have started a position in ZLCS ahead of phase 2 data for their analgesic development compound, Z160. Volume has been growing since the start of the month, with a favourable article in Seeking Alpha having been published on August 1. Hopefully interest will grow as the data draws near (expected early in Q4). I am in at $0.71.
Today opened very strongly for my two holdings building on yesterday’s momentum. Yesterday APPY closed at $1.53 – a great 11% move up from the previous day’s close at $1.38. BIOD also had a great day closing up 8% at $4.74. Based on that, my portfolio here hit a new high of $575K (indexed, as always, to the day I started tracking on this site).
APPY gapped up today and hit $1.62 soon after the opening. If gradually fell back and closed down 3.3% at $1.48.
BIOD similarly had a great first 15 minutes hitting $5.09 before eventually closing flat at $4.76. So I ended up with a down day. Holding on to both and hoping that BIOD will be able to break through the $5 barrier that it seems to have been struggling with. I am currently up 75% with BIOD and 16% with APPY.
Let’s see what can be done in H2. Have not traded anything since late April when I cut DCTH and XNPT loose. Adding APPY today at $1.28 so now have APPY and BIOD. Looking for additional positions.
RIGL last week was brutal. DCTH this morning was also rough. I am holding onto my DCTH for the moment (having sold half of it on March 11th). Drawdown is at 7.5%.
I am adding two positions to the portfolio today: BIOD and RIGL. Both have trial results coming out later this year.
BIOD trades very thinly and it will take me a couple of days to get a full position in place. It has been trading in a narrow $0.35 range for the last 10 weeks or so. I am anticipating/hoping for a breakout as interest drives volume and price ahead of the phase 2 results of its ultra-fast acting insulin, BIOD-123 sometime in Q3. In today at $2.75.
RIGL is awaiting results from the OSKIRA trials of its drug, fostamatinib, in RA. AZ is conducting the trials and expects to release data in Q2. I am in this morning at $7.32.
Bought XNPT earlier today at $7.09. I have been watching it for a few days. Hoping for some appreciation ahead of its Q2 Arbaclofen phase 3 results.
I have fiddled around with my missing pages but for some reason the embedded Google docs do not seem to be embedding. Probably will require some support from WordPress to help figure this out. In the meantime, here is a chart showing performance for the 2nd year of this journal.
So we are up ~25% for the year to date – which is just short of 3 months. This compares favourably with the biotech index (NBI) and the NASDAQ. It is (significantly) under-performing last year though. This may be, to some extent, attributable to a lack of focus on the portfolio in January due to a confluence of holidays, travel, and flu. Year 1 in the following chart is in red. Year 2 is the blue line.
Here is the total performance – since tracking on this site started in 2012.
I have just noticed that three of my tabs are not working. Will have to try to figure out what has gone wrong with them.